About Fetal Growth
Fundal Height Measurement
Postnatal Bereavement Notes
Planning a Family Diabetes Notes
Diabetes in Pregnancy Notes
Fetal Growth - Fundal Height Measurements
Explain the procedure to the mother and gain verbal consent
Have a non-elastic tape measure to hand
Ensure the mother is comfortable in a semi-recumbent position, with an empty bladder
Expose enough of the abdomen to allow a thorough examination
1. Mother semi-recumbent, with bladder empty.
Ensure the abdomen is soft (not contracting)
Perform abdominal palpation to enable accurate identification of the uterine fundus.
2. Palpate to determine fundus with two hands.
Use the tape measure with the centimetres on the underside to reduce bias
Secure the tape measure at the fundus with one hand
3. Secure tape with hand at top of fundus.
Measure from the top of the fundus to the top of the symphysis pubis
The tape measure should stay in contact with the skin
4. Measure to top of symphysis pubis.
Measure along the longitudinal axis without correcting to the abdominal midline
Measure only once
5. Measure along longitudinal axis of uterus,
note metric measurement.
Record the metric measurement and plot it on the growth chart.
6. Plot on customised chart, record in notes
© Perinatal Institute 2017